Sunday, November 28, 2010

Marine Ball 2010

Marine Ball, 2010: THE social event of the year (or so that's what I've been told). Neither of us were really looking forward to it, but we actually had a REALLY good time. Compared to balls we've attended in the past, I must say this was a step up (actually several steps up) on the classiness scale. When we walked in I was like, "Where are all the tattoos, trampy dresses, and drunkards?" Nowhere to be found (according to Ben this was because the ball's participants consisted mostly of older people like Polish generals, the ambassador and State Department officials rather than young soldiers and their spouses). It really was an elegant evening.

Me and my hot date. I call this my Nancy Reagan dress... it just reminds me of Nancy Reagan (not a good thing).
To me, the most important factor in making a party great is the FOOD (Can you tell I'm a Blackburn?) And the food did NOT disappoint.

Check out the spread... and these are just the cold foods...


These dishes contained various hot meats...

The dessert table... need I say more?


The cake... it was a little hammered


Our chefs extaordinaires... (they were a little confused as to why I wanted to take their picture)

Random attendee in a kilt... there were guests from all over Europe.
And I got a quick shot of the American ambassador to Poland... hehehe

Ben and his fellow military compatriots
Ben's date at the ball: Ok, Ben spent almost the entire night talking to this retired marine who had so many crazy stories. When he found out we were Mormon he told us about one of his commanding officers who was Mormon and made his men recite the Pearl of Great Price if they ever got out of line. What the? He said that he would recite it all the time too when he got nervous or in some kind of stressful situation... he'd just start reciting the Pearl of Great Price.
So, while Ben was chatting the night away (or rather listening) I went and got a snap shot with the Marines
Fellow Utahns.. these guys are from Salt Lake City. They are the greatest.

2 comments:

  1. Mindy you look BEAUTIFUL!!! What a great evening!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eli wants to know if he had to recite the entire Pearl of Great Price. We LOVE your pictures. And you look glam in that dress. You are so skinny, and I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete