Sunday, January 23, 2011

Life Marches On

I am seriously resisting the urge to make some chocolate chip cookies. Ben usually makes them on Sunday nights, so I've been conditioned to crave them every week. Tonight is the NFL playoffs though, so Ben has found his higher calling... and Em and I are left to fend for ourselves. So, to get myself to stop thinking about the cookies, I am blogging...My friend Tawny sent Emily an adorable winter outfit. Thanks Tawny! And yes, that is a swim diaper hanging from the banister... don't ask.
Ben and I made a flurried day trip to Krakow, which is the "cultural capital" of Poland and once used to be the political capital as well. We went for my birthday. It was fantastic. We ditched the girls with our dear "pani" (nanny) and caught the 8:30 train. It's a 2.5 hour ride. It happened to be a miserably wet and rainy day, but it was fun anyway.
These are some state dept. folks that Ben went to language training with. Tim and Ann (in the middle) work for the consul in Krakow. Emily and Ben (on the left) happened to be visiting Krakow from Warsaw that day as well. We hung out with them on the train.
Ben with Smok Wawelski (the legendary Krakow dragon that lived under the Wawel Castle).
In front of the home where Pope Paul John II lived
A view of Krakow from atop the Wawel Castle.
A huge bell in the belfry of Wawel Castle. Supposedly if you put your right hand over your heart and touch the bell with your left hand and make a wish, it will come true.
We went down into the crypt of Wawel Castle where many renowned Poles are buried including the recently deceased President of Poland, Lech Kaczynski. There were so many people getting their pictures taken by his tomb.
I was touched by this lowly nun, who in the midst of all these people offered a quiet and meditative prayer. She was so incredibly focused and still, as if no one were around for miles. It made me want to resolve to give more reverent prayers. Ben gives me a hard time for always having my eyes opened during prayers... but how would he know?
And as we leave Wawel Castle, I tip my hat to Krakow, mimicking the brave national hero, Thaddeus Kosciuszko
And just as we were leaving to catch the train, the sun finally peeked out.
Here are a few more pics from earlier in the month. We went to the rynek (town square) in Warsaw on New Year's night. They had a few small vending booths, but nothing like on the scale of Salzburg or Munich.
The Christmas tree in front of the palace... I don't know what's cooler, the tree or this lady's fur coat.
Is that some crazy UFO descending upon Warsaw?
To help Ben blend in with locals, I got him this flat cap, often worn by Polish men. He wears it when he drives, and he looks awesome... I'll have to take a photo. In the meantime, pics of the girls sporting the cap!

2 comments:

  1. Mindy- awesome pictures! More than anything, though, it looks cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, happy friggin' birthday! Looks fun despite the rain and cold. And as an added bonus you got to spend a day without your kids! The last picture of the two of you is great. Ya look so happy!

    ReplyDelete