Friday, April 15, 2011

So, we are in Gizycko (go ahead, try and pronounce it), which is somewhere in the northeast of Poland... Ben is on assignment helping train a Polish unit about to deploy to Afghanistan and we got to tag along. We've been here a few days and Ben told me that so far the general here wants him to teach all the soldiers English. In two weeks?

I'll post pics eventually, but here are a few random ones from the past couple weeks. Since the weather has been nicer I've been taking the girls everywhere in the Burley. It has been awesome. One day after returning home I found them like this.
Last Sunday I went with Ben to Lublin, a branch in the district about a two hour drive from Warsaw. I tell ya, I must be pioneer stock to drive two hours to church with the little ones in tow. The best part of going to church in Lublin is that it's only two hours long (normally it's three) . And, this time around, we got treated to a genuine Polish dinner by a member family. Bigos (Polish hunting stew), pierogis (dumplings), and lots of other tasty dishes (mostly meat).
This is the Gladun family... they've been members for about 10 years and they have a son serving a mission here in Poland.
When we got home Sunday night Ben relaxed with a little "light" reading about the WWII Polish uprising while Em played hair stylist...
One of Ben's more manly looks
Do these girls look innocent or what?
Caroline "helping" unload the dishwasher. Am I the only one that finds unloading the dishwasher one of the most mundane of all domestic chores? I mean, most are pretty boring anyway, but I think unloading the dishwasher takes the cake.
And off we are to Gizycko. It took us a whole day to pack everything up and get out of town...
Em, with Elmo and blankie, ready for the road trip. She did awesome in the car. She loves music so she was happy as can be jammin' to the ipod and reading her books. Her sister on the other hand...
It was a four hour drive... Poland has the most inconsistent infrastructure. The trip consisted of fast modern freeways, little two-laners (that the Poles treat like three), back roads, bumpy roads, and roads such as this. Stay tuned for more pics from our excursion including Hitler's Wolf's Lair... hahahaha

4 comments:

  1. I hate unloading the dishwasher. If the boys have left for school without it being done, I'm beside myself. Sometimes I just wait until they get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, sometimes I try to finagle Ben into doing it before he goes to work... he doesn't mind it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unloading the dishwasher is the best chore ever. It takes two seconds though there's no telling where I'll put weird stuff like melon ballers or huge strainer things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha....love that top picture. It took me a minute to figure out that Caroline was smashed in there somewhere. She looks like a Teddy Bear.

    Also, I loathe unloading the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete