Friday, August 5, 2011

A Hidden Gem...

After Paris and Nancy we headed to Strasbourg, which is personally my favorite part of France. Granted, I've never been to the South, so I can't compare, but of all of northern France, this is by far my favorite. It is right on the German border and has historically changed hands between the two countries until finally becoming a permanent part of France after WWII. ANYWAY, it is a charming, beautiful city, and not overly crowded with tourists... it seems like it's kind of off the beaten path for many. Oh, it's also home to the European Union.Petite Rue de l'Eglise (little street of the church)... the street I lived on as a missionary for six months.
Right in front of our apartment (on the right behind the motorcycle). You can see now why this street is called Petite Rue de l'Eglise.
And the MASSIVE cathedral, Notre Dame de Strasbourg. We got there just as the sun was setting and it cast GLORIOUS light onto it. Such a lovely square.

That night we somehow lucked out because there happened to be an AMAZING concert put on by a chamber orchestra right at the base of the cathedral. The classical music was choreographed with a light show... it was SOOOO fun!



There were all sorts of events going on in Strasbourg that weekend... it was Strasbourg Days or something like that... we just kind of lucked out and hit it right.
A parade
Women dressed in traditional folk garb... there were musicians too.
And, really, this is one of the best things about France. Can't get enough.

There is a canal that runs through Strasbourg and so there's just beautiful bridges and architecture all around. Very picturesque. Em seems to think so too.
And, really, it was a magical weekend because a beautiful rainbow appeared... just for us!

A stroll along the canal at sunset. Does this picture not look like a postcard?


They're really into flowers


The girls found a merry-go-round
Em making a very careful left hand turn.

And I didn't get any pictures of it, but Sunday I was able to attend the ward that I served in. Wow, was that amazing. It has been 9 years. We snuck into Sunday School and the teacher, Frere Gottscheck, looked up at me and gave me a huge smile... he remembered me! I was so pleased. Back then (I should dig up a picture) I had long, curly brown hair and was at least ten pounds heavier... probably more since I ate an eclaire a day.

It was with a heavy heart that we drove over the border into Germany. Seriously, I was so sad to leave France! I loved being able to communicate and just loved hearing French spoken in the streets. We stayed in Heidelberg for a couple of days where there is a US military contingent there. The town itself is kind of small, but is in a beautiful setting


Possible Christmas photo?

No comments:

Post a Comment