Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Back to School


Em's first day of preschool... isn't she cute?
In our empty house
C apparently grieving Em's departure
And of course I had to take a pic of Ben on his first day of school as well (C once again grieving his departure). If it looks like it's the crack of dawn, that's because it was. Ben likes to be, on average, about 45 minutes early to everything. This is kind of a sore spot in our marriage. According to him, if you're 15 minutes early in the army, you're late (he really said that!) whereas I'm more like if you're 15 minutes late you're on time. You can imagine the problems this creates.
The girls... almost as excited as their mother to be back in an American grocery store.
Dennis the Menace Park. Ok check this out... Ben's dad attended NPS almost 30 years ago, when Ben was in the 2nd grade. So, here is a picture of HIM taking a drink out of the same lion's mouth 20 some odd years ago.


Saturday we went for a drive along the coast to explore the area. One thing we've discovered is how nice and easy going the people are. Both of these pictures are the result of random people approaching us and asking if they could take our picture for us. Sure, why not?

Em, everso photogenic.
We drove along the famous coastal "17 mile drive" and of course, the clear beautiful day turned overcast just as we embarked.
World renowned Pebble Beach golf course. A round of golf costs $500!!

Yesterday I took the girls for a walk... Em was trying to catch up with the seagull
Beautiful coast.

So, now the issue for me is meeting people and making friends. I HATE being the new kid on the block! My sweet neighbor goes to my church and is literally ten steps away from my doorstep, which is so nice. She is in charge of playgroup and told me all about it, the time and place to meet. It was also announced in our church newsletter. So, this morning I was all pumped to go, anticipating all the new moms I would meet. And, it turned out that no one was there. As in, NO ONE. I called, texted, and knocked on my friend's door. No luck. Later she called me back and said, "Oh yeah, the reason no one was there was because I'm the only one that goes to playgroup, and we had to go to the dentist today." Ooooo-kay? I guess we'll have to work on that. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. Ben's punctuality sounds like Dad's. The debate sounds much like every Sunday growing up. Your kids are so beautiful Marinda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree being the new kid on the block is hard. I have only had to do it a couple times. I can only imagine how many times you guys have moved. That is pretty hilarious about playgroup. Your girls are so cute! I have loved reading your blog! It's so fun to see all the places you have traveled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the photos, Marinda. I confess Ben's time issues must be my fault--sorry; and I note Emily and Caroline apparently exhibit my road rage issues at the grocery story; you have so many issues to commiserate (sp?) with Nancy. Thanks for the shots of Dennis the Menace Park--great memories. We hope we get to come visit you all before you have to depart that great part of the country.
    Love, MISTER Gwampa

    ReplyDelete