Tuesday, October 25, 2011


My least favorite thing about the military has got to be moving. We have moved the past three summers (plus an in betweener!), two of those moves being overseas. Moving has got to be one of THEE, if not the most, stressful things in life (even when they do all the packing for you!)

So, since we're special and moved from Poland we've had three shipments come over a six week period... one by plane from Poland, one by boat from Poland, and one by big rig from our storage in Virginia.

The thing is, I always forget what a pain it is until I go through it again. Last night I was SOOO excited for our shipment to come... couldn't wait to finally get all our stuff. And now tonight after a long day of opening boxes, sorting through our stuff, and our house being in complete upheaval.... I'm super duper ornery.


All our furniture arrived from Virginia in this bad boy


And this was our next shipment by plane from Poland.


So, this morning while cleaning up breakfast I was excited to hear what I thought was our moving truck... our final shipment that embarked from the Baltic Sea, sailed across the Atlantic, docked on the East coast, and came by truck across the country. Ben went out there, but lo and behold, the truck parked right in front of our neighbor's house. Apparently they're new too. A few minutes later, we heard another large truck coming down the street, sure it was ours. But, alas, it parked behind our neighbors moving truck. Apparently their neighbors are new too! Finally our truck came, but by then there was no more room on the street. Just another day in the life of a military community I guess.
Ours is the one with the wooden crates partially hidden behind the white truck.

Some parts of unpacking are kind of fun. It's like Christmas on steroids. You open all the stuff you treasure and love and have missed. Like my Polish pottery. But then, there's other things that just make you cringe when you open the box. Like Ben's Star Trek collector's edition of Pez candies. Where the heck do I put that? Or 50 cans of Hunts Tomato Sauce that I over ordered in our dry goods shipment, and which, of course, expire next month.

My headache (not C of course!)

And of course, all the things we were excited to get, like Halloween decorations and Ben's shoes (he's been wearing super uncomfortable dress shoes to school every day), we have no idea where they are. Everything is boxed or wrapped up and it is quite the process to go through everything.
And in other news... Ben impresses us all by blowing the biggest bubble of all time. So big that Em got freaked out and ran into the other room. Ben was dang proud of himself, and signaled for me to get the camera. Yep, that's my Benny Boy.

2 comments:

  1. You made us chuckle reading about Ben's pezz. Good luck unpacking. Hope you find his shoes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be an expert by now, right? The whole process is miserable, and I would bet that having it come in 3 separate loads would just make it worse. Nothing like dragging the whole process out for 6 weeks. Good luck with all of that. Maybe, since I'm such a good friend, I'll try to think of some recipes for ya that call for lots of tomato sauce!

    ReplyDelete