Sunday, October 28, 2012

Farewell to a Great Car

Yesterday we sold our Toyota 4Runner.  I was extremely relieved, as I hate the whole selling/buying a vehicle process, but at the same time, I was a little sad.  And Ben was A LOT sad.  But, since we're headed to Germany (did I mention we finally got orders for Germany?!), we can only take one car, and the 4Runner simply doesn't have enough seats as we hope to grow our family.  Plus the mileage just isn't compatible with European gas prices.  As Ben has been bemoaning selling the car, I've told him we don't have to, we actually have two other options:  either get out of the army or have no more children.  I won't tell you what his preference was, because I don't want our future children to have a complex, but I was finally able to prevail upon him to put the dang thing up for sale. 

So, a little history: We bought this car the year we got married, six years ago just after Ben got home from Iraq.  It has been the family car ever since.  You couldn't ask for a more comfortable car, leather seats, amazing stereo system, and rides smooth as glass.

Obviously I don't have photos of every adventure it's taken us on, but here are just a few
Camping in TN, before we had kids

Visiting Smokey Mountain National Park 

Gearing up for Ride for the Cure

Surviving the record breaking winter in DC when we had no garage


Taking us on road trips all around Poland

 




And of course, lots of family trips with the girls



So, what did we replace it with?  Well, this:


Yeah, I know it's not nearly as swank as the 4Runner, but at least it's not quite a minivan (no offense to minvan drivers out there, we were this close to getting one).  It's a 2008 Kia Rondo and it has seven seats, but is super compact.  The perfect family sized car for Europe.  So, here's to making new memories!











5 comments:

  1. CONGRATS on Germany!!
    And CONGRATS on getting a new car!
    So, how long does the car take to arrive once you get to germany? I'm assuming it comes by boat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah. that is sad. It's surprising how depressing selling a car can be. But your new car looks great! Hopefully there will be many more adventures to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good to see that new car. It does look perfect for you! I look forward to riding around in it when I come to visit y ou in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Germany! Are you excited? I need more details.

    You guys have had lots of fun adventures and clearly that is truly a great car. Congrats on the Not Minivan and the future kiddos to come. You better fill all 7 seats with your offspring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the car! It looks great! Crazy the memories a car can bring you though... I totally understand Ben having a hard time saying goodbye to the four runner.

    ReplyDelete