Friday, June 27, 2014

Germany vs. U.S.



So yesterday afternoon Ben and I got a babysitter and headed down to the schloss biergarten to watch the much anticipated Germany vs. U.S. soccer match.  Of course, this was all Ben's idea.  I went not so much as a soccer enthusiast but as a curious spectator of the German culture at its finest.  I knew this would be good.  Biergarten… beer…(we stuck to the apfel shorle)... Germans going hog wild over soccer.  You can't miss.  The experience did not disappoint.  

On the way down, much to Ben's dismay, I casually asked him if he would be rooting for Germany or the U.S.  When he expressed his disgust that I would ask such an obtuse question, I gently reminded him that just the other day he was telling my sister and her hubby, who came to visit, how much he LOVED living in Europe.  I didn't think that it was such an unreasonable question.  He reminded me that he is a U.S. CITIZEN and rooting for a different country would be tantamount to treachery.  

Ok, then. Apparently I didn't exactly understand how these soccer matches between all the different countries worked, but I was soon to find out.  As we walked into the biergarten we were surrounded by people decked out in hats, face paint, wigs, flags, team jerseys, leis, all in the bold German colors…. there was even one guy who was proudly wearing a one piece spandex jumpsuit with the bold black, red, and yellow stripes painted on.  It was nationalism/patriotism at its finest. 


No German gathering is complete without loads of beer.  Apfel schorle works just fine for us ;)
Not sure what "Angelo Merte" means, not sure I want to know (something to do with their chancellor, maybe??).



All of a sudden I felt a fierce loyalty to our American team and ashamed that I had questioned which country I would be rooting for.  I was so sad I was donning a neutral colored skirt… why hadn't I painted my face red white and blue and worn an American flag as a cape?  What's wrong with me??

We sat at a table with Ben's friends from work… one of only a few American tables.  We were definitely in the minority, but it was awesome to stand up with the fellow Americans and sing the Star Spangled Banner at the top of our lungs while the Germans sat and looked on.


Hanging with the Americans

Why hadn't I dressed more like this guy?
Or this guy?
I was cheering for America to win, but I was also secretly hoping that the Germans would score because I wanted to see them all go completely nuts.  When they did score, I got this great photo… the two gentleman sitting are Americans.  The rest are Germans of course.  



Sadly, the Americans didn't play very well.  The rest of the photos are the Germans gloating in their victory.  Wish the pictures could capture the noise level, the music, the singing.  It was pretty awesome.






So, I'm glad I got to go… probably wouldn't pay a babysitter to do it again… but still, I absolutely love authentic cultural experiences, and this was definitely one not to be forgotten. 















2 comments:

  1. Due to our history, soccer matches are (almost) the only time when we are all patriotic. I love how you want to experience everything! And don't forget, that even though they lost, the US made it to the last sixteen.

    As for Angelo Merte, I had to google that... Apparently it is by a comedian and refers to the chancelor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful pics on your blog! You make traveling with kids look pleasant :)

    ReplyDelete