Sunday, October 26, 2014

Home Sweet Home

Supposedly Juliet's balcony from Romeo and Juliet…  Shakespeare based his famous play on two feuding families from Verona.

So, after my trip to Italy, I know nobody is feeling too sorry for me.  But can I just say it was soooo awesome to take a break from my kids and all domestic responsibilities for just a few days?  Of course I love them to pieces, but sometimes you just need a break, and this mini trip fit the bill.

So with the race out of the way, I spent the next day and a half hanging out with my old friend and neighbor from Monterey, Ariel Brown.  She is stationed with her family in Vicenza, and she is amazing!  Not only has she learned to cook Italian but she has learned to speak Italian fluently!  She has completely immersed herself in the culture... she might as well be Italian.  I met up with her in Verona, stayed the night with her family, and went pottery shopping with her the next day. 

Verona

This colosseum in the middle of the city dates back to 100 A.D.!!!

So, Italy makes a lot of pottery from its rich silt.  Ariel took me to a place where they make it on site, and then ship it to all parts of the world!  Some of the pieces say William Sonoma and Tiffany on the back.  But, the prices are wholesale, so it was awesome… I promise I didn't go too crazy.   

My "shopping cart"  I successfully filled it.

The silt has been put in these molds that shape the pieces
Pottery pieces that have been fired, and are waiting to be glazed and then fired again?  I think that's the process anyway.  


Pieces that have been fired.  They are hot!
End product

Ariel.  She's da bomb.

So, after a delicious Italian lunch it was time to drive home.  This part of the trip was amazing.  It was a gorgeous fall day and it took me about 7.5 hours. The drive goes through the Italian, Austrian, and German Alps.  It was such a GORGEOUS drive and made me wish I could share it with the whole world.  Who knew road trips could be so relaxing without kids?  I didn't have to spend half my time turned around answering their every single solitary need.  

The route starts at the base of the Italian Alps where the famous Dolomites are, you go up and up, over the Brenner Pass… and then drop down into the green pastures of Austria.  From there you go through "Fern Pass" which is a windy two lane road that cuts across Austria and is just gorgeous (am I overusing that word?)… up numerous mountain passes and down into beautiful sprawling green valleys until you reach Germany.  I'll never forget that drive.  

Of course, pictures don't do it justice, and I really don't recommend taking pictures while you're driving anyway.


Italian Alps

Austria

Germany



Upon returning home I found everyone happy and well.  The kids were alive.  They had been fed and clothed… which really was about the extent of my expectations.  So, you can imagine what a bonus it was to find the house clean, laundry done, and finding that Ben had taken the kids outside to play everyday.   I think after eight years of marriage, he is getting the hang of how to not make his wife grumpy!  Ben had kept James awake so I could give him a big hug and the girls were in bed but still awake so I could give them hugs and kisses.  I felt so grateful to be home.  


The "spoils" from my trip… two boxes of pottery, six pairs of shoes, and an original piece of art.  That's what happens when you hang out with Ariel!  (And have no husband or kids around.)
And for the readers who check the blog for the express purpose of seeing the kids… (ahem, Pat and Nancy)… I do not want to disappoint, so let me throw in a couple pics for you!


Styling James' hair 
Bath Time




2 comments:

  1. A great trip--and 6 pairs of new shoes. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that pottery place looked amazing! I can't get over how beautiful Europe is. Sigh. I just need to see Vienna again and that place in Switzerland and Rome and London and Oxford and Paris and Greece---that's it, really.

    ReplyDelete