Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Vacation

We were feeling a little gutsy/adventurous/delusional a few weeks ago and decided to book a trip to southern Germany to visit my former missionary companion, who is German. She lives in one of the coolest areas of the world, Bavaria Germany nestled in the Alps, just a 15 minute drive from Salzburg Austria and a couple hours drive from Munich.

HUGE disclaimer: these pictures do NOT reflect our entire traveling experience. The trouble with blogs is that sometimes when you look at others, it's easy to feel a tintsy bit jealous because, come one, who blogs about the crappy (sorry Mom) part of their lives? What I'm trying to say is that this trip was not as entirely awesome as it appears to be. I guess I forgot to snap a shot of Emily whining/crying the entire five hours we were outside, or Caroline steamrolling us in the night as we all shared a small mattress in the same room, and I think Ben forgot to take a picture of me literally wrestling with Caroline on the airplane as everyone kept looking over their seats to view the live entertainment we provided. Ugh! Yes, it was definitely a difficult trip with the kiddos... but here are the highlights.
Salzburg... the birth home of Mozart.
Gotta love it!
My dear friend Martina and me at the Salzburg Christmas markets
A great view of the famous city
Inside the markets... it was so much fun! They had every Christmas decoration/ ornament you could imagine. My only regret is that I didn't get more (for the first time I actually have non-buyer's remorse!)
This stall sold tons of different egg ornaments! They make a tiny hole in the top of an egg, drain it, and then hand paint the shell.
The Europeans spare nothing when it comes to decorating for Christmas
Does this look familiar? This is THE gazebo from the Sound of Music... "I am 16 going on 17..." It was strange, it was just kind of stashed away in a corner of some random park.
The next day we visited the Silent Night chapel in Austria... this is the bridge dividing Germany from Austria. Notice the Alps in the background.
A man carrying his Christmas tree home. In Europe they don't really put up their trees until Christmas Eve.
And another random dude with a typical Bavarian hat
The Silent Night Chapel where supposedly the song was written. The pictures on the wall are of the man that wrote the music and the man that wrote the lyrics.

The chapel itself... super small
Oh, they had the best foods at the Christmas markets (Ben frequented the food stalls often). Em eating a chocolate covered strawberry kebab!
Awesome background picture, but I kind of ruined it with my turtle pose
Em, me, Martina... the river divides the two countries.
After the chapel we said good-bye to Martina and her little family and took a road trip to Munich. This was the best part of the trip... the girls slept, we enjoyed the sites of the German countryside all within the warmth and comfort of our car!
Alps


World Class Traveler: this picture captures Em's exact sentiments about traveling.
And our last night we went to the world famous Christmas markets in Munich! See below!

2 comments:

  1. Once you have kids, it doesn't take long to figure out that a 'vacation' with them in tow is no longer a vacation, it's just a 'trip.' Looks like a great experience, regardless. Marinda, you look great. I love your red coat, your scarf, and your hat. Stylin'! Nice turtle pose too! Is it just me or do the Alps look a little bit like the Rocky Mountains?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get to see a little clip of you and Ben performing I am 16 going on 17. Because I'm sure you couldn't help yourself when you got to that gazebo.

    ReplyDelete