Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mom and Mary come to Poland!

Aren't they beautiful? This is my mother and my younger sister Mary. I was so happy that they came to visit me! Mary is a student at BYU and is a super nerdy science major. She's majoring in molecular biology and was a TA for Chemistry 105 and 106. My chemistry career never went past high school... I vowed I would never take it again! So, she's a heck of a lot smarter than me! During their stay, Mary was waiting for her mission call to arrive. She had it all arranged for Bonnie to check the mail every day and then skype us when she got it.... so you have to keep reading to find out where she is going....
Old Town. Isn't it beautiful? I've been to a few other Polish cities but I think Warsaw has the prettiest town center.
Mmmmmm.... Tasty!
One of my favorite pics!

This is at beautiful Ujazdowskie Park.


I love this park... it is right across from the US embassy. If you remember, I took some beautiful fall pictures last October and now it is in its spring splendor!

Wilanow Palace
They were here for Emily's 3rd b-day. Funny that Mary was here for her 2nd b-day as well in Virginia. Em loves practicing her writing.

A Saturday morning out in front of our local market. Note the dandelions which are giving me terrific allergy problems.
And this is us at church with one of the members Slawek. We met him last fall and found out we have a very special connection. About 20 years ago he left Poland as a political refugee and moved to Southern California. There he met the missionaries and was baptized. He attended a a single's ward where it just so happened that my grandpa was the bishop and my great-uncle was the stake president. Slawek was 29 when he converted and really wanted to go on a mission, but the cut off age is 26. So, my grandpa asked the stake president (my uncle) and he contacted church hq where he was unequivocally told 'no.' But, when he explained that Slawek spoke fluent Russian and Polish they told him they'd "pray about it" and get back to him. A few days later they called back to give Slawek permission to submit his papers and he was called to serve in Poland! He was the first Polish missionary to serve here. How cool is that? Slawek has very fond memories of my grandparents and my uncle and his family. It's so awesome to see how far reaching their influence has been!

3 comments:

  1. You never actually said where Mary is going! Not that I don't already know... but others might be wondering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, but you never said where she's going! I haven't even met the girl and I'm curious.

    I know I've said this before, but I love seeing all your pictures and reading about your adventures there. I had no idea Poland was so beautiful. I'd love to see Aushwitch, and maybe I'd learn how to spell it correctly. Very touching, I'm sure.

    I laughed at the pictures from what happened on Dad's watch. Typical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is Mary going???? The pictures are a crack up. I love the bungee one and the decapitated head the best. Tell Ben, "well done." he he he.

    ReplyDelete