Sunday, February 3, 2013

Belated Christmas Vacay

I have to laugh beacuse it's 9:30 pm here in Germany and Ben has his chips and salsa out watching the Super Bowl "Pre-game Show."  Only three more hours until it starts!  Gotta love living overseas.

I just realized that I never posted pics from our Christmas vacation.  Yes, I realize it's February, but I have to do it for the girls' sakes since they love to go back and look at all the pics.  And for the ever important reason that they don't forget their cousins while they're here in Germany!

So our Christmas vacation was completely NUTSO.  It lasted one month and consisted of the following itineraries:
Monterey to Salt Lake City, where we stayed  9 days
Salt Lake City to Kansas City, where we stayed 15 days
Kansas City back to Salt Lake City (don't ask), where we stayed  6 days
Salt Lake City to Germany, where we will spend 1000+ days.  

And if you are one of my Utah based friends reading this, PLEASE don't feel slighted that I didn't call you while in town. It was like a marathon trip and it was all we could do to make it to every family holiday function you can imagine.  

So on December 14th,  the day before we moved from Monterey, Ben graduated from his master's program at the Naval Post Graduate School.  He got his degree in European Security Affairs (or something like that).

Getting ready to accept his diploma:  Look at that impeccable posture!

And his ever supportive (if not slightly rotund) wife:

And no, this pic was not taken in May, it was taken mid-December in BEAUTIFUL Monterey.  We went from 60 degree weather to 25 degree weather, (not to mention the worst inversion EVER) in just a matter of hours.  Sigh

The ward Christmas party the night before we left.  Em is front and center.  We miss our ward!

Boarding the plane the next morning:  Em is totally enamored with flying.  C could take it or leave it.

And the festivities in Utah begin!  We attended three family holiday parties, made three separate visits to see Ben's grandparents, visited Temple Square, and more all in just a few days!

Em helped Nana make sugar cookies

And we frosted a kajillion of them.  I swear my mom always AT LEAST quadruples the recipe.

Aunt Bonnie



 Our visit to Temple Square

My darling sister and mother 


 Don't laugh, the hat keeps me warm!

And I personally think this photo merits an "awkward family photos" award.  Em is completely conked out and I look nuts.  Just remember, I was warm.  Very warm.


 Grandpa Shaha, the man who started it all.  He both joined the Army and converted to the Church, both traditions continue strong in the Shaha clan.

And a visit to Grandma Williams in Bountiful, smoking everyone at Wii Bowling.

One of the three family parties, Mormon style.  Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics of the other two, which were so fun. 




Aunt Tammy, Aunt Amber, Uncle Reed, and Cousin Phil

... To be continued.  I don't want to wipe you out in one fell swoop.  I will post our KS installment next time!

3 comments:

  1. I'm tired just reading about all this. We were on the go nonstop in December and it took me all of January to recover. I can see now that our comings and goings were nothing! Glad you got some good family togetherness before you moved. Thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say you do look WARM...VERY warm! I need a hat like that! I'm FREEZING here!
    Looks like December was filled with NOTHING but FUN!
    I'm glad Ben got in a pre-game PARTY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing the pics of your mom and siblings. And hilarious story (for me, not for you) about your church excursion. Glad you keep it real when you post. Good luck! Glad you are out of your hotel. Thanks for all the updates.

    ReplyDelete