Sunday, August 11, 2013

Bienvenu a Strasbourg!



One of the best parts of living in Stuttgart, Germany is that I can get to the beautiful city of Strasbourg, France in less than two hours.

This city is near and dear to my heart because I spent six months of my mission here.  It was by far the best area in the mission and the most coveted.  I had great companions here, one of whom I trained, and served in two awesome wards.  The members of the church here were cream of the crop... very stalwart and very supportive and kind towards the missionaries and each other.  We had amazing investigators here too.  I gave my heart and soul to this area.

August, 2002

August, 2013
 Since Ben had the day off on Friday and the forecast was clear skies with a high of 77, it would have been a crime not to go.

And I promise to take anybody who comes to visit us to this charming ville.  You will love it!  Pictures do not do it justice, but here goes anyway:












The apartment on Petite Rue de L'Eglise, where I lived 11 years ago


Yesterday was not the first time I had revisited the city since my mission.  We came through two years ago when we lived in Poland.  My girls have this picture hanging in their bedroom from that trip.  Emily was 3 and Caroline was 1. 



And ever since, Emily has been asking when we were going to go to France so she could ride in the "pink car" again.



So it was super fun to bring her back.  That's all she cares about, riding in the pink car.



Ice cream is always a hit, especially Italian gelato.  Mmmm...

 And since it was a warm day, we let the girls wade their feet in a shallow fountain in Place Kleber.  I went to peruse a nearby bookstore and came back to find this scene:


            

Apparently she had fallen in, so her clothes were soaked.


Typical Em was a little more cautious and reserved





Stimulating Daddy/Daughter conversation over dinner (most likely about princesses) 
James enjoying his first trip to France

Me attempting to communicate with the waiter using my rusty French

Who can resist her?

Best Friends


Dancing to a street performer

Check him out in this 18 second video singing in French at the top of his lungs.  Love it!





All in all it was a great day, but a little much for little James.  He was happy to come home to his comfort zone

2 comments:

  1. Oh my GOODNESS!! Do you have room in your house for visitors? I so want to see this place in person!
    Love the 'then and now' picts!
    I'm certain your French skills are still TIP TOP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Now I want to go to France with you! James looks so sweet too!

    ReplyDelete