Wednesday, August 21, 2013

World's Greatest Mom

... would not be me.

That's what I was thinking when I wrote this note the other night:


I'm so sleep deprived I can't even write a grammatically correct sentence.

You see, James hasn't figured out days and nights yet, more precisely, that you're not supposed to wake up every two hours for a midnight snack and then stay up to chitchat about it.

So, this is the way it's been going: after a very long night of intermittent feedings James wakes up to eat around 6:30 a.m., after which he likes to be awake and active.  Which means I'm awake, but not so active.  Then at 8 a.m. he dozes off to sleep and with a huge sense of relief, I crawl back into bed, drop my head on the pillow, close my eyes, and then suddenly... I feel the presence of a little body not two inches from my face.  My eyes flutter open and I'm greeted by, "Mom, I'm hungry!"

It's pure torture, I tell you what.

So, hence, how I found myself writing this note, basically telling the girls to fend for themselves.

And my overwhelming feelings of guilt for neglecting my children.

The funny thing was, Emily got the BIGGEST kick out of the personalized note.  She thought she was SO SPECIAL that I would write her a note "telling her what to do."  I caught her reading it over and over throughout the day when I finally came back to life.  She's a gem.  C on the other hand isn't so keen on fending for herself.  Hopefully James will get his act together soon!

5 comments:

  1. This made my day! I'm just jealous that I never thought of this before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!! My children have done the same with notes I have left them. They feel so GROWN UP, or something!?!?
    If it were Avi....she would have crossed off the items that she had done. Chocolate milk....CHECK. Watch a Movie....CHECK. Play....Check! And then sadly would have come to wake me up to tell me she had done everything on the list! haha....
    I hope little James figures out his LIFE soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. I hope you save that note forever. Getting no sleep is the WORST! Especially when you know you have kiddos who don't like to fend for themselves. Sleep, James!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! Do not feel guilty. A mom has to sleep! I can't believe Emily can read that! She is one SMART cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Desperate times call for desperate measures & I am the world's worst mom when I have no sleep. I sure hope James figures it out soon. I am so sorry, Mindy.

    ReplyDelete