Saturday, October 19, 2013

La Route des Vins d'Alsace

We got to see and do so many great things while Pat and Nancy visited, but I think this had to be my favorite part of the trip.  Maybe because I am just extremely partial to France.  
I can't help it.  


My favorite picture from our trip.  Can you see us on the bridge?

We spent three days touring a 170 km route called La Route des Vins d'Alsace (The Alsace wine route).  It starts in Strasbourg and winds its way through endless vineyards and picturesque little villages.  We ended in Colmar.  It was fabulous... and we didn't even have to take a sip of wine to enjoy it! 


Ok, I admit.  I stole this pic from the internet.  But the rest are ours!
Oh yeah, I stole this one too!
The route is on the left... on the right is the Rhine River that forms the border of Germany

We spent a day and night in Strasbourg because I just HAD to show them my old stomping grounds




 I have memories of playing football in the snow here (La Place de la Republique) with the elders on p-day.  Surreal to be back eleven years later with my family... none of whom I knew at the time.
I loved watching the girls climb trees while I fed the baby on a bench.
Wish I had taken a picture of our lodging because it was one of a kind!  It was like a little hobbit hole.  Very fun and memorable.

The next day we were off to wine country




The countryside was incredibly beautiful... endless vineyards


James enjoyed the drive.  Except for all those times he was screaming.  But let's not dwell on that.




We stopped at La Montagne des Singes, where the girls got to feed monkeys, and Haut Koenigsbourg, a medieval castle.  















Each little village we drove through was popping with color. 
 I've never seen so many flowers in my life!

Ribeauville, notice the castle ruins on the mountain
Ribeauville was beautiful, but much too crowded for our taste!  




We liked Riquewihr much better. 
 This village had to be the inspiration for Belle's village from Beauty and the Beast.  
 Can't you just see Belle sitting on the fountain with a book in her lap?

And people popping their heads out the windows exclaiming, "Bonjour!"

                           

A little tuckered out

Next was the charming village of Turkheim where we spent the night







No trip to France is complete without a fresh crisp baguette





The next day we explored Colmar



Tarte Flambee, fresh out of the oven.  Mmmm... we ate our fair share
Of course, we had to hit the carousel


Then it was time to head back to Stuttgart
We stoped in Kayersberg for a potty break.  Most scenic potty break we've ever taken













Back on the road

Grandpa riding shotgun was our fearless navigator.  He loves himself a good map.  Forget the GPS!

I made Ben pull over so I could take a picture of this yard.  Yes, this was somebody's front yard!


So my goal was to make you feel like you've been to France and back... did I succeed?  I would love to really take you there... if you come visit me we are definitely going back and chowing down on a fresh baguette and cheese









10 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH....I am coming to VISIT!! WOW, this place you live is AMAZING!!
    LOVED all the picts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun trip!!! and how beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy, thank you for the beautiful pictures! Post away, my friend. Lily and I have been watching some Beauty and the Beast lately and those pictures totally reminded me of it. I am so happy you are able to soak in your old stomping grounds and share them with your family. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fun. A lot of the pictures there look fake---reminds me of the hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is from Ricky. "Caroline sleeps in the closet. That's really funny. The castles are great."

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is from Davy. "It reminds me of Beauty and the Beast. I'm not used to the giant breadsticks."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who is taking this pictures? They are just amazing. The color is jaw dropping. You HAVE to send the picture of Caroline sleeping under the geraniums into some kind of photo contest. That's a sure winner.

    These pictures are truly surreal. So many of the houses look like a movie set, it's hard to believe that they are truly real. WE really want to come. We've got to find a way to make it happen. Love you to pieces, Mindy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brings back a few memories from our visit....but I think I forgot how stunning it all was. I WILL come again! How many times are you willing to take people to France?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will take people to France any day of the week. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete