Saturday, January 4, 2014

Make New Friends, but Keep the Old; Those are Silver, These are Gold

 I have quite a bit of catching up to do.
December really was an amazing month… perhaps my favorite month of 2013. 
 Part of what made December so great was a visit from this gal:



This is my dear friend Monica.  She's really into"selfies."  I am not.  But whatyagonna do?

Monica has been my close, tight, dear friend since KINDERGARTEN. Yes, I still remember playing with her as a five year old. And we played together all the way until we went off to college.  We've always stayed close…she's my oldest friend for sure.  If I were really on top of it, I would scan a picture of us back in our heydays and post it for your amusement.  But it is late and I'm that lazy.  

So Monica, at the moment, kind of reminds me of the Julia Roberts character in Eat, Pray, Love who travels the world.  She has hiked/biked/camped/ran/explored many MANY countries the past 18 months.  Her latest fling is Europe and I was so happy she came to my neck of the woods.  Family/friends coming to see me = pure happiness.

While the girls were in school, we took a day trip to Rothenburg, a perfectly preserved medieval city surrounded by a fortified wall.  It's only a 1.5 hour drive away.  It is my NEW favorite place.  So amazing and so close… how come I haven't discovered it until now?




It's also a Christmas town… they sell Christmas goods all year round and Kathe Wohlfahrt's flagship store is here… three levels!  So much fun.










We only had a few hours and didn't get to discover the whole city…  Can't wait to take Ben and the girls back… next day trip for sure!

The following weekend (just a few days before Christmas) Monica and I took the TGV to Strasbourg and Paris.  Ben was such a sport.  He took the kids for three days straight.  Of course, he owed me (remember Israel for ten days?!) But still, it was sweet of him.



I had really low expectations going to Paris since the last time I visited in 2011 I was not impressed at all!  Smelly, dirty, hot.  This time, though, wow, what a difference a season can make!  No putrid stenches.  No trash. No riffraff. No dog poop. (Still lots of tourists.)  It was great.  We even got to shop, which NEVER happens when I'm with the kiddos.  It was sooo fun to go into the boutique shops.  I kind of went wild.  Monica's fun to shop with because she thinks everything is adorable AND that I should buy it.  Dangerous combination.  



So, here's all the cliche Paris pictures… we played the part well of unapologetic tourists!  But, really, who can blame us?  Paris is quite magical.








Oh, I forgot to mention Monica's fabulous friend Alisha met us there.  She was great!  On top of the ferris wheel:











Palace of Versailles:




Marie Antoinette's bed… apparently floral print was really in.






Saying good-bye as we parted ways on the train…  She and Alisha stayed another day, but I needed to get back home. 



So, huge caveat:
I blog primarily to keep our family history.  And then, of course, I'm tickled if others check it out and enjoy the posts.  HOWEVER, I hate the thought that while viewing pictures like these, other people might feel bad, like they are missing out.  Social media can have that effect.  I know if I'm on Facebook for too long I start to feel that everyone's life is a lot cooler than mine!  So, I really hope I don't make others feel that way.  Monica's visit was really a GODSEND.  Moving around so much in the military makes it hard for me to make solid, long-lasting friendships.  I often feel so isolated and lonely, far from family and friends.  So, to have her come see me and to share my favorite things with her was really awesome.  Monica kept exclaiming, "I can't believe this is your life!"  But really, girls trip to Paris?  First time.  And probably the last time. (Unless, that is, I can convince any of you to come see me!!!!) This is NOT my every day experience.

My friend Ashlee posted this quote on her blog that helps me keep things in perspective:

  • "Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed. The fact is that most putts don't drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just ordinary people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. . . . Life is like an old-time rail journey--delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." -- Jenkin Lloyd Jones quoted by President Gordon B. Hinckley

So, this trip with Monica was one of those occasional beautiful vistas!

4 comments:

  1. Loved this post. I'm sure it was a much needed reunion and getaway. I'd come visit in a heartbeat if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paris looks amazing! Glad you had a great trip! And I like your selfies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You guys look great. These are some pretty amazing pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me anxious to come back!

    ReplyDelete