Sunday, May 31, 2015

Bad Wimpfen and Bird Show


A few Saturdays ago we day tripped it to Bad Wimpfen, a charming little village along the Neckar River, and Guttenberg Castle where we saw a bird show. 

Now that spring is in full force and everything is green and beautiful I've been wanting to get our family out more on the weekends.  There's still so much to explore and see not far from home…  but I'm amazed at how difficult it is.  It seems like there's always something going on.  Life with three kids is busy and it just gets busier and busier!

Nonetheless, we made it happen. We packed up a picnic basket and threw the scooters in the back of the van and headed out. Exploring the town was ok… The best part was this ice cream joint that gave you a generous serving for only 90 cents.  Score. 

We also climbed a tower that gave us cool views of the city.  




The Neckar River… it runs through Stuttgart and Heidelberg







This is how it's done




Then we headed up the road just a few kilometers to a castle that put on a very cool bird show.  Yes, it was in German, but still… the demonstrations were awesome.  The birds flew right over our heads.  As Ben put it, "I got slapped in the face like five times by the eagle's wing."







The bald eagle is catching a chick in its beak.  


The views were amazing too.






Ok, so we had to get back to Stuttgart so I could do a blasted 11 mile run.  I was all stressed out about that. I am soooo glad my training is over.  So, before leaving, we had a quick meal at a restaurant that had amazing views.  

As we were waiting for the food, James went off exploring with Ben close behind.  Soon I hear James screaming off in the distance.  I look down the huge hill and see that Ben is half way down it holding screaming James.  A few minutes later he comes up and James is just covered from head to toe in Stinging Nettle!  His face was red and swollen with white bumps all over it.  His hands, arms, and ankles were covered too.  My heart just melted for the poor, miserable guy. I guess he was running along and leaned against a dilapidated fence that broke and he just went tumbling head over heels down the hill.  Ben chased after him but James got a pretty good head start.  So, while Ben went to wash him off in the bathroom I called a nurse from church.  I was so glad she picked up her phone.  She told me we didn't need to take him to a hospital (I wasn't sure since he was so young and he was in such bad shape) but to just wash him real well, give him chamomile lotion, and it would all go away within 24 hours.  And she was right.  It was kind of a sad way to end a very nice day.  

Here's James in the carseat… his skin was already doing much better. 


And here's a pic of the doomed hill






1 comment:

  1. Was that a real chick the eagle was catching:(. Emily looks like your mom in the last picture of her. So sweet. Poor James:( but good job on 11 mile runs!!! Way to discipline yourself. I am very impressed!

    ReplyDelete