Monday, May 4, 2015

Day 4: Chianti Region



Monday was one of my favorite days of our trip… we left the chaotic, tourist packed streets of Florence and headed to the calm, scenic countryside… with a tour guide.  I've never booked a private tour guide, mostly because of the $$ involved,  but since my mom was traveling with us we were able to split the cost, and I'm really glad we did it.  Francesca was fabulous… super nice and awesome with the kids.  She has three kids of her own, similar in ages to mine.  She's a native of Florence, and knew a ton about the history, culture, and politics of the area.  It really enhanced our trip. 

She took us to the famous Chianti region.  Ok, I admit, I didn't know it was famous.  And I didn't know about Chianti wine, but according to Ben and my mom, it's common knowledge. Not the first time I've been enlightened by "common knowledge" as an adult.  I blame it on my upbringing in Price.  

We got smart this time and brought the scooters.  It made a world of difference!  The girls were happy to scoot along, no whining involved! I don't think we'll ever travel without the scooters again.  

The first place she took us was a town called Greve in Chianti.  We went to a bakery and butchery and picked out items for our "picnic" which the girls were all pumped up about.  


Caroline doesn't let a bad hair day deter from her sense of coolness.
Also, close-up of my terrible bang cutting job.  Sometimes I nail it, sometimes I totally screw it up.  
So, this was cool… I didn't know until I happened upon this statue in the town square that we were in the birthplace of the famous explorer Giovanni da Verrazzano. Do you remember him from history class??   I taught my 7th graders about this dude!  He was the first European since the Vikings to explore the Atlantic coast from Florida to Canada… including the New York bay. The bridge over the opening of the New York harbor is named after him.  And this tiny town is where he was born. Cool indeed.


Can you see how pleased I am to discover this statue?
 Then we went up to a "winery" where we picnicked on the property of Francesca's friend, and of course I can't remember his name now.  We didn't do any wine tasting, obviously, but after the picnic Francesca said, "That's the first time I've done that without drinking wine, and it was still very enjoyable!"  See, you CAN have fun without alcohol.  








She then took us to this tiny medieval town called Montefioralle.  It was so quiet… nobody around except for the postman, happily delivering his mail… I guess people really do live here!






Now, this was another very cool discovery.  Francesca is standing in front of the door where some claim (including Francesca, and she is very smart) Amerigo Vespucci was born.   



Now you know who he is, right??  America was named for him!  He was the explorer that realized America was a "New World" and not Asia.  See the coat of arms and the V above the door?  Francesca said that Leonardo da Vinci was friends with the Vespucci family and had visited this home.  


She then took us to an overlook of the surrounding area and pointed out the home of Mona Lisa!  We didn't get up close to it, but Ben pulled out his long lens and that home you see is where da Vinci painted the portrait of  Mona Lisa!  Yes, very cool. 
 Now I want to read more about the history of da Vinci and this painting.  I guess it took him years to paint and perfect, and he never sold it… he always kept it… maybe he was in love with her?  But in 1910 I guess it was stolen from the Louvre by a janitor who kept it under his bed for like two years before he was discovered trying to sell it to the Uffizi gallery in his native Florence.  And that's how the Mona Lisa gained its fame… headlines all over the world reported about the stolen piece of art and the subsequent search for it.  Where could the Mona Lisa be?? Under the janitor's bed, you fools. 



Our last stop of the day was a famous medieval town San Gimignano (difficult to prononuce and to spell)



This place was a pitstop for European pilgrims headed to Jerusalem.  It also had a ton of tall towering buildings.  There used to be 70 some… now there are only fourteen or fifteen.  Anyway, it's considered a medieval Manhattan.  

I guess the towers were actually private homes and it became a competition between rival families of who could have the tallest tower, even though they only lived on the first couple floors. 
We just hung out there… enjoyed amazing gelato, scooters, and beautiful scenery.  

Oh, also, I got pooped on by a bird while standing in line for the bathroom.  Like full on pooped on.  Somehow, it went straight down my back… under my shirt and garments and actually onto my bare skin… nastiest feeling ever.  I guess it's all part of the rich cultural experience.  I also got pooped on during my mission in France.  According to Ben, it's extremely rare.  But if it happens to you once, it's very likely it will happen again.  He's so smart that husband of mine.  

Too cool for gelato.  Doesn't this look like it could be an album cover or something?
I love this sequence of Nana and James pics… thanks to our amazing photographer, Ben, of course:

























No comments:

Post a Comment