Sunday, August 2, 2015

Barfuss Park!



 Have you ever heard of a Barfuss park?  Ben's delinquent jr. high friend was a Barfuss, and that's the only context in which I've heard the name.  But it turns out barfuss means "bare foot" in German and in parts of Europe, especially Germany and Austria, there are designated parks where you hike around barefoot!  The park we went to yesterday had areas of cold water, sand, pebbles, pinecones, mud, and even glass (eek!) that you walk through giving your feet a sensory overload.  I believe the idea is that going barefoot is good for your overall health and well being… basically being a hippy is awesome.  

In our two and a half years here, yesterday was our first trip to such a park because although I've been curious about the whole thing, I've never dared take Caroline on account of her sensory processing issues… as a young child she has hated going barefoot in grass, sand, or getting herself dirty in any form or fashion.  Now that she's a little bit older and not quite so anal about such things I felt like we could do this.  

But first, before leaving the house, Caroline came up to me and said, "Look Mom!  I got dressed by myself!"  This girl is one-of-a-kind, that's for sure!


She is clutching a random atlas, her choice of accompaniment to the park. The gloves are a nice touch.. she said her hands were cold (naturally, it being the first day of August.)


So, on to the park.  You ditch your shoes in the lockers, and are on your way!



















It was about at this point in the two mile loop that Caroline sighed as we walked along, "It's a really long walk to the barefoot park."  Glad we clarified before we finished the dang thing!









The mud was the only part Caroline REFUSED to go through.  No way was she touching that!







And luckily they have a washing station at the end.  


So, do you think a park like this would be a hit in the states?  Contemplating a business venture. 

2 comments:

  1. I'll admit I was a little unnerved when I saw that first picture of your muddy feet but then I read the post and decided it sounds like a blast! Especially with it being called "barfuss" and all. Ha! I think it would go over well in the states, but you might change the name to something more appealing...... I was going to spout off some ideas but I got nothin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so easy: "Barefoot in the Park." Fun to see you all....love the kid pics of course.

    ReplyDelete