Sunday, August 30, 2015

Temple


I had a completely different entry I was preparing to post, but then felt like I should switch gears.

Yesterday we went to the Frankfurt Temple.  And I'm super bummed I didn't get a picture of our family  in front of it… I meant to, and then it slipped my mind.  Dang it!!!

But, I wanted to share my experience there…

It's a two hour drive to the temple, and since we have little ones, we just don't make it as often as we should.  And honestly, we could try a little harder.  But the Frankfurt temple is about to close for renovations for a whole year, so Ben and I knew we needed to make attending on our ward temple day a top priority.

We got our kids up early, and drove our trusty van up to Frankfurt, with an additional passenger, Sebastian, a dedicated German convert, hitching a ride.  We swapped kids with another family… they did the 10:30 session first while we watched their three kids with ours… and then three hours later Ben and I did the 1:30 session.  The kids were outside the whole time.  It was a warm day, but luckily we were able to find reprieve under some shady trees where we spread out a picnic blanket and watched the kids run around.  Kids have so much energy it's ridiculous.  Other members from our ward with kids came and joined us as well and we had quite the little group going… everyone pitching in and helping.

 It was a big day for us… a long day, but I felt spiritually realigned after attending the session.  I certainly don't profess to understand everything that is taught in the temple, but it seems like every time I go I gain some new little nugget of insight, which I treasure.

I've had a lot on my mind recently… been seeking guidance on decisions regarding our family and also Ben's job opportunities for the next year… uncertainty of the future must be the root cause of everyone's stress and worry, don't you think?  As I was sitting in the Celestial room, mulling over the decisions we've been grappling with, I recalled one of my favorite scriptures, 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not give us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love and of a sound mind."  And really, I felt at that moment that I was receiving that God given strength.  I struggle with being confident in making decisions, or how I should handle a certain situation. At the end of the day, we just have to put our trust in God and be CONFIDENT that things will work out, even if we're not entirely sure we are making the best decision… God gives us the spirit of power and love and a sound mind.

And then I think about the people who REALLY have struggles in life… I've been following the heartbreaking news of all these African and Middle Eastern refugees who are pouring into Europe, leaving their families behind, gambling their life savings, and ultimately putting their lives in jeopardy (many don't survive the perilous journey)  just to have a shot at freedom or a job or a chance to save their family back home…. any thread of hope that is better than staying in their war-torn homeland.  And then if they do survive the journey, they have a whole new set of challenges awaiting them here.  And then I think, Gosh, my problems are not really problems at all.

I'm so grateful for the temple, for a place we can escape from the cares of the world… to be able to pray, ponder, reflect, learn… and ultimately be endowed with power from on High.  

No comments:

Post a Comment