Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Whale Watching

Friday we went to Point Lobos, a nearby state park to look for whales. You see, it's their migrating season, and the ranger in the booth told us there have been sightings almost everyday. So we were pretty pumped.

C on the trail. Stairs are the true love of her life.

We walked to the outlook and lo and behold we sighted a whale! Seriously. Well, first we sighted a huge school of dolphins. Can you see them? Look really REALLY hard.


You might have to bring out your binoculars like C here.


This is the picture of the whale. I promise she's there (I'm assuming it's a SHE since the brochure said the whales head south to give birth). Well, in case you can't see it, I'll tell you what we saw... first we spotted water spraying out of the ocean. When we looked through our binoculars we could see a gray whale splashing around. It would spray, then come up out of the water, do some sort of roll, go back under the water head first and then it's tail would flip up and come splashing down in the water. It was sweet!! It was the first time in my life that I ever saw a whale. (Remember I'm from Price...while it's true we did have a wave pool, we unfortunately didn't have any real sea life.)

Em did her darndest to spot it, but didn't have much luck.


And of course I had to get a pic of the two together. We took about a dozen and this is seriously the best one that turned out. True. Em's doing sit-ups, C is pointing out a plane (her favorite thing after stairs)


C being left on the trail


Here in Central California there aren't many palm trees, but rather these beautiful cypress trees. They are cool looking.


2 comments:

  1. I cant see them, but I believe you and your pictures are pretty anyway! My list of things I want to do and see when I come visit you is getting lengthy.

    ReplyDelete