Wednesday, July 31, 2013

It Wasn't Me

Saturday was NOT a good day. 

I was still mourning my mother's departure from the day before, wondering how on earth we were going to manage without her. 

I fed the girls pancakes while Ben snoozed in the recliner.  He had returned from the states earlier in the week.  Apparently he was tired.... maybe delayed jet lag??  So I let him off the hook.

I had an appointment at noon to get my nails done (a rare treat) and then I was going to go do some grocery shopping on my own.  Grocery shopping without kids = heaven.  

I figured I could leave Ben in charge for a couple of hours.  He was still snoozing in the recliner when I left... I gave him some instructions about feeding the baby, he indicated in his comatose state that he understood, and I was off!   

Usually Ben does a decent job with the kids while I'm away, which was why I wasn't too worried about leaving him.  But something was seriously off with Ben that day.  He continued sleeping in the recliner for the ENTIRE TIME I was gone.

When I got home it was like a scene from Lord of the Flies (to use Ben's reference).  It was 3 pm, the girls were still in their pjs, they were camped out in front of the tv, breakfast dishes were exactly where I had left them, the house was a mess, and to boot, apparently Caroline had taken a crayon to the wall with a mean sort of vengeance.  

Purple crayon was found everywhere... in the baby's room, in the play room, in the hallway, and funny enough (although I was not laughing in the least bit), all over the wall behind the recliner where Daddy was snoring as this all went down.  

I was on the verge of tears.  Em said to me, "I told her Mommy and Daddy would be mad and she said, 'No they won't!'" I could just hear her defiant, mischievous little voice.

So, it's needless to say how we spent the rest of our Saturday, but what put a smile on my face through this all, was a piece of notebook paper I found propped up on one of the walls that had had received the brunt of Caroline's "artistic expression."    




Apparently, Em was too nervous about waking up Dad to inform him of Caroline's misdeeds.  So she did the next best thing she could think of.  She wrote a note clearing herself of all culpability. As if there were any question as to which child did it.  But, I guess according to Em, you can never play it too safe.

  


3 comments:

  1. Emily's note is hilarious; she's so smart! And I hope the crayon came off okay...do you want me to send Caroline the book "Harold and the Purple Crayon?" Is Ben still in the doghouse? Did the baby sleep through all of this? You deserve a day at the spa for this one...tell Ben I said so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!!! I LOVE those moments when you can say....well, YOU were the ONE in CHARGE!!
    I hope ol' Ben was the one that had to do all the SCRUBBING!
    I like how Caroline cleared her name! SMART girl!
    And...I am so glad your mother was able to come out and ENJOY that new ADORABLE baby! Mom's are the BEST! I love that you found her slightly annoying with her ability to get the job done! haha....
    HAPPY {#7}. WOWZA!!..you have done more in 7 years than most people do in a lifetime! Here's to many more....and a little less moving! CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story. The dynamic between the sisters (the older rule follower v. younger rule flouter) and the present, but somehow MIA, dad is an all too familiar story line in our house. Sorry that your story ended in purple graffiti, though I must say that, for me, the wall scrub would have been well worth it for that note. Hope the scrubbing didn't ruin your manicure . . . .

    ReplyDelete