Sunday, July 28, 2013

Nana

Moms are the best.  That's why everyone should live within two miles of theirs.  Of course, this isn't my situation.  But it's times like these, with a new baby and a young family, when I really wish it was.

My mom wasn't going to come out after the baby was born.  I told her it was too far and too expensive to come all that way.  Ben and I could manage fine on our own.  But as the pregnancy progressed I had a change of heart.  I knew I wanted my mom!  There was no gettin' around it.

So, I convinced her to come out (it didn't take much).  And I'm SO glad I did.

I don't know where my mom gets all her energy.  During her ten day stay the kitchen was clean, the floors were mopped, the girls were fed, dressed, and entertained, all before noon and without a hair out of place. She makes it seem so effortless. It's both awe-inspiring and slightly annoying at the same time.  I didn't have to do anything.  I just got to feed, cuddle, and sleep with my baby boy.  Mom took care of everything else. 

 I loved having a monopoly on her... she had no other distractions besides me and the kids.  She couldn't even text or call anyone on her cell phone.  Ha!

The best part of having my mom here though was the company.  It's so nice to have another adult in the house to talk with, to confer with, to laugh with, and to seek reassurance from.  It was really hard to see her go.  Maybe I can hire a German frau to be my surrogate mom and move in with us.  

Every time Nana told Em to pick a game out, she picked Twister without fail.  We haven't  played Twister since we were in Poland, so I don't know what got into her head.  But any Nana who willingly plays Twister with their grandkids is a heck of a Nana.

Bonding with James.  

And one day we even ventured out to the nearby Black Forest.  It was awesome. 

We visited a town called Triberg 

Perusing the shops of hand carved wooden items.  We scored.

Taking in the local flavor at a restaurant for lunch
Notice the animal hanging on the wall

Nothing whets the appetite like a stuffed dead boar's head

Shopping for hand carved wooden cuckoo clocks, a regional specialty.  Mom even bought one!


And a very small hike into the Black Forest took us to this waterfall

Mom chatting it up with an Indian in the Black Forest.  She'll make conversation with anyone.




We also went to our ward's 24th of July celebration.  The smores were a hit.


And to the nearby Ludwigsburg Palace.  I love this place.  



Yes, that is a storm coming, and yes, we got caught in it.







2 comments:

  1. The point made in the title of this post may or may no have been instigated by the events that occurred the morning after Nana left. Marinda's went to get her nails done leaving her capable husband in charge. Even though the manicure appt was at 1:00pm, Marinda's returned to chaos punctuated by purple crayon artwork on most of the walls in the apartment. I may or may not have slept in until the afternoon, facilitating a Lord of the Flies environment in the house. I miss Nana, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point made in first line of this post (no title)

    ReplyDelete