Sunday, November 3, 2013

Halloween-i-licious

Halloween was kind of a mess this year. 

Have you ever made sugar cookies?  And by that I don't mean frosting them.  I mean, have you actually ever MADE them, like from scratch?  

Well, let me tell ya what.  It's a huge pain in the b-u-t-t.  


Growing up sugar cookies were a staple at our house around the holidays… Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day.  And in my mother's true fashion, she always made it seem like a breeze, with never a hair out of place (although, I must say, she did use a lot of hairspray).  

Em REALLY wanted me to make sugar cookies for Halloween this year since she has made them a few times with her Nana.

Really how hard could it be?

So one day after school we mixed up the dough.  Well, it turns out you have to let the dough chill for a couple of hours.  That does not bode well with a three and five year old. After being asked about 15 times when it was time to make the cookies, I finally rolled out the "chilled" dough.  First the dough just stuck itself to the rolling pin… not enough flour I suppose.  So I doused the pin in flour and then successfully rolled it out onto the countertop.  The fun part came as we cut out the little Halloween themed shapes with the various cookie cutters. 

 Then it got tricky... I tried to scrape the cookies off the countertop to put them on the pan.  Um, they kind of were like really stuck to the countertop.  Does that mean the dough wasn't chilled enough or that I was supposed to flour the countertop? We may never know.  What I did know was I had a disaster on my hands.  The shapes completely fell apart as I tried to transfer them to the pan.  Ghosts' were were getting decapitated, bats' wings were breaking off, witches faces were morphing into indiscernible blobs.  It was a big, gooey, truly FRIGHTENING mess.  At this point Ben came home from work.  We took a break, ate dinner, and afterwards I made Ben roll out the rest of the cookies.  I'm not ashamed to admit, he did a much better job than me.  The cookies were finally baked…  never mind you couldn't really make out what the shapes were.  They were edible cookies, that's all that mattered.

It was time for bed (yes the process took us this long) so I said we'd frost them another day, hoping the girls would forget all about it.

A few days later we were talking to my mom on FaceTime when Em told her we made sugar cookies.  My mom asked excitedly, "Did you frost them?!?!"

Thanks a lot Mom.

So, it was back on.  

What da ya know, frosting turns out to be a huge mess too with several different bowls of different colors and lots and lots of sprinkles.  But we had a good time anyway.

Caroline frosted a total of ONE cookie, and ate a total of about 500 sprinkles

The cookies were finally done!  This may be the first and last time we ever make sugar cookies!  I think we'll leave that realm to Nana.

In other Halloween news… On Halloween Day I volunteered in Emily's classroom.  It was super fun to see her in her element

Her class paraded around the school in their costumes.  






In the meantime, C got her face painted at preschool




Getting ready for trick-or-treating. Of course, both my girls were princesses.  As if there was any other option.




And our little Tyrolean boy, or Prince Philip, which ever you prefer 


Trick-or-treating around the hood

Overall, it was a blast, but I'm glad it's over until next year!

4 comments:

  1. Love it!! I'm so glad you're blogging ;) I'm not a princess person, but apparently all little girls are (which I suppose I'll experience soon with Catie?) -- Princesses Emily and Caroline are sooo cute! And love the lederhosen for your littlest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! Marinda. You are SO good at making disasters sound hilarious. I love it. James seems so smiley! I think he looks like you. And in that last picture it looks like you're carrying your whole house around with you. I feel like that every time I go out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya on the sugar cookies. I hate making them, but somehow I feel like I'm robbing my kids of some part of childhood if it don't ever do it. Haven't taken the plunge since probably last Halloween. Also, I think it took me a whole weekend to recover from all the Halloween festivities. Anyway, your kids look super cute as always. Love James' costume especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the princesses. Yeah. Sugar cookies are the worst, and Dave usually bales me out too. I haven't actually made them for a while although I find the idea quite romantic. So I just think about making sugar cookies.

    ReplyDelete