Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Fasching at its Finest


Have you ever heard of fasching? Me neither, until I moved here. It's the German version of carnival (a series of celebrations and parades that occur the week before Ash Wednesday to commemorate the beginning of Lent). I didn't realize carnivals were so big in Europe… I had just heard of it in New Orleans and Brazil (I guess I never attended one as a missionary!) But it turns out in the predominantly Catholic areas of Germany (south and west), the Germans go ALL out.  


So, every little village/town throws their own parade, just like every village has its own Christmas market.  We decided to hit up the "kinder" fasching parade (children's parade) in the nearby little village of Weil der Stadt…we had heard it was awesome and it did not disappoint :)  We picked up Ben from work and headed over there this afternoon.  



Again, I'm always  awestruck at just how festive the Germans can be… a notion I never had before moving here. All the kids and several of the adults were decked out in costumes… it's like Halloween here.


We stood by this AWESOME couple during the parade.  I asked them if I could take their picture and they MORE than obliged.  This guy kept slipping Ben miniature bottles of liquor, from one bro to another.  Ben just put them in his pockets. Wish I had gotten a pic of it.  

The next thing I know the couple returns with another friend and present her for us to take her picture.  Love it!  And yes, that's a PACIFIER on top of her hat??  Maybe she's expecting her first grandchild??

Before the parade got under way, I walked around the quaint little village to do some exploring.  

Some parade participants taking a drag before the parade kicked off.  Trying to imagine their conversation… "Why don't you ever take me seriously?"  The possibilities are endless.


And did you know that Weil der Stadt is the birthplace of Johannes Kepler?!?!  Famous astronomer/mathamatician… come on people!

Love this guy just chillin' at the statue

The girls getting ready for the parade



 And finally the parade commences:  As the people parade by, they yell, "A-ha!" and you yell it back and then they throw candy at you.  Sometimes they'll mess with the spectators, but I think they toned it down since it was a kinder parade.





Yes, she is pouring some sort of alcoholic beverage in the lady's shot glass!  Candy for the kids, alcohol for the adults!



Nothing to fear, just a bear mauling a kid

???




Yeah, like that face wouldn't scare the *bleep* out of a baby. Several of the participants were pushing strollers with real babies in them.  Guess they couldn't find child care?    

An example of them messing with the participants.  He came up to us and took this little 6 year olds braid apart.  I'm sure she enjoyed it :)












Genetically modified cow??  I heard they had this at the "adult" parade, didn't think they'd find it appropriate for the kinder parade, but I was wrong!  The only difference is they have a kid sitting in the cow's lap!  Lovely. 




So, next year… maybe Venice??  Who's in?

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, I laughed til I cried when I read this! Your captions combined with the awesome pictures was so great! Love it.

    I hope Ben stashed that liquor away for a rainy day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed the one in Weil der Stadt and everything else was during the daytime, so we missed it this year- maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, these were lots of fun, Mindy. Glad that spring time is around the corner and you can get out a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How hysterical! How fun! Calling you now

    ReplyDelete