Sunday, March 16, 2014

Couches and TV

Today was Caroline's 4th birthday!  Hooray! 
More on that later…

So, last week I walked into the family room to find this on our couch:

I  love how she doesn't' even try to be discreet about it.  Her signature is front and center.  At least it's a positive message, right?

My jaw about hit the floor.  Now I'm used to these sort of antics from Caroline.  Give her a pen and you're asking for it (see here).

But, Emily?? 

Never. 

 Not in a million years would it occur to her to write on anything but a piece of paper (or so we thought).  
 In fact, she has always been a diligent and reliable informer when ever Caroline is up to some sort of misdeed.  She loves to police Caroline. 
Just when you think you know your child…

So, in that moment I was so upset… I told Emily and Caroline that I was tired of them ruining all our nice things and I was going to punish them.  I was thinking on my feet… I had to hit them where it hurt…ok...
"No TV for a week!" I blurted out.  
   
I knew right then that I had just committed myself.  Everything I've read/heard about parenting is that you absolutely have to stick to your word or your children will never take you seriously. 
 So, that was it, no tv for a week.  
I was kind of nervous since Caroline especially LOVES the television.  And I rely on it too… it's so easy to turn it on when I have to jump in the shower… or clean up the breakfast dishes… or make dinner.  A perfect distraction to keep the kids quiet and out of my hair.  

But, you know what?  It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.  After the first day of readjustment, we really didn't miss it!  It helped that we had a week of BEAUTIFUL weather and were able to spend quality time outside.  I also saw a lot more of this… which brought a smile to my face:

Notice the couch's tattoo on the right 




After the week was finished, the girls didn't even ask for the tv back.  They didn't even realize it had been a whole week.
And you know what else?  I noticed a change in Caroline… she was less irritable and overall easier to deal with.

I recently came across an article posted on Facebook that serves as a good warning about technology and kids… and makes me think we're better off without it.   
So, here's to no less television! 
 Now, if only I can convince Daddy. 

1 comment:

  1. Another laugh out loud post! Thank for the giggles. At first I thought you were going to say throw out your TV because the couch incident happened while Emily was watching TV and you were doing something else...he he he. I am not ready to throw my TV out yet, though but glad it is working for you!

    ReplyDelete