Sunday, March 11, 2012

The List

 
   
Paris

   
           
Berlin


London


   Podgorica

 

Athens

  

    Washington DC                  

Where would you choose to live the next three years?  

I've been hesitant to blog about this, but I'm going to go ahead with it anyway.

So, we've been happy as can be the past few months living in Monterey, and we've basically slipped into complete complacency forgetting that we ever have to leave this paradise.  Well, that complacency was jolted a few weeks ago when "the list" came out.  "The list" is, you guessed it, a list of all the job openings that are available next winter that Ben is eligible for.  As we looked over it we were overwhelmed (in a good way) by the possibilities... Paris, Berlin, London, Podgorica (in Montenegro, the former Yugoslavia), and Athens all made the list.  Then there are a handful of jobs available in D.C.  

So, we don't get to exactly choose our next assignment, but we do get to submit a preference list where we rank our top five places we'd like to go, and the higher-ups supposedly take this into consideration when making their placements. Talk about exciting and overwhelming.  How the heck do you choose?  I would LOVE to go to any of these places (except for D.C.)  A couple things you have to consider:  language (I hated not knowing Polish when we lived there), job description, quality of health care and schooling, and remembering that VISITING somewhere and LIVING somewhere can be two completely different experiences. 

So after a lot of contemplation and prayer we made our list accordingly:
#1 Paris
#2 Berlin
#3 London
#4 Podgorica
#5 Athens
This list may be completely different from what you would choose... I'm curious to know what your rankings would be.  Please share! 

I was pretty pumped about us getting one of these places, until one night Ben was telling me about all the other guys who are competing for the same jobs, "Yeah, there's a couple French speakers, a couple German speakers, one of the guys is from Greece, and one guy speaks Serbian (the language of Podgorica).  Um, yeah.  My hopes were pretty much dashed.  Ben's Polish and Spanish skills can't help him land any of these jobs.  So, it's kind of a long shot... we may very easily end up in DC, but there's a chance we could get London, right?  We will find out mid-April and in the meantime the waiting game has been grueling.  I've been trying to keep my mind off of it... but sometimes I just can't help going there.  How awesome would it be to resurrect my French?  I've been having recurring dreams of strolling down the beautiful avenues in Paris, but I know it's just wishful dreaming.   

So, I will let you know when the results come in. It probably won't be very exciting, things never turn out the way you think they will, so I'm bracing myself for disappointment... but in the meantime I can always daydream, right?.     


7 comments:

  1. How cool! I am with you and would go to any of them, though DC would be at the bottom, too. I think my first choice would be Berlin. BUT that is only because I don't speak French. Doesn't this mean that you guys are on the same 'track' as Paris, and that you could get it later if not this time? Won't it always open up when you are ready for your next assignment? PS - plan on visitors if we are still around. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as you already know, i would highly recommend Berlin and was happy to see it so high on your list! my rankings would be (not including Berlin, since i've already lived there) London, Paris, Podgorica, and Athens. i know someone who has lived in Athens, so if you get it i will put you in contact with her. if you get DC, maybe we'll see you there in a few years! good luck!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your list!....You have got to be the LUCKIEST Girl around!
    They all sound AMAZING!
    I hope they are aware that Ben has a HOT, PERSONAL French Translator...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so exciting Myrtle!! Reminds me of waiting for "match day" when we would see where we would go for residency. NERVE RACKING!!!! I wish we would have had the awesome choices you have!! Hope you get one of your top choices. Is McAllen, TX a choice :) :) How long will you be wherever you end up??

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did indicate that the wifey does speak French, but I'm not sure we included the words HOT and PERSONAL. hehe. The Paris, London, Berlin, and DC jobs are for three years. Athens and Podgorica are for two. We may end up on the same cycle with the Paris job again, but it just depends because it's easy to get off. I kind of think this is our best chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will not take it personally that Washington, DC is at the bottom of your list, as I see that we are in competition with Paris, London, Berlin, Athens, and Podgorica, and I would rather be in those places, too. I also realize D.C. is a decided step down from Monterey. But if we could just convince you guys to live on Capitol Hill, I think you could like it this time . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you don't take it personally, Dana. We have to live it up in Europe while we can! We'll may be back in DC at some point no matter what we do.

    ReplyDelete