Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter

Earlier this week Emily was outside helping me do a little yard work.  Isn't she hip?


When I went to water our flowerpot a small robin startled me as it zipped out of the flowers


When I looked into the flower pot, this is what I found:


How beautiful is that?

We've been watching the robin all week as she has been protecting her eggs.  She's usually sitting on them, only leaving them when we unintentionally scare her off.  But she doesn't go far, just hops on our  fence really excitedly and chirps really loud at us...  trying to tell us to keep away from her babies!

And then this afternoon, on EASTER Sunday, we found this:


How amazing is that?  And on Easter Sunday to boot, a day that celebrates new life.  Is this God's way of testifying to me of the reality of Easter? 


They are so so so tiny... like the size of my thumb.  You can see that one egg hasn't even hatched yet.  I'm surprised at how little they are and wonder if they are premature.  I sure hope they live.  The mother has been sitting on them most of the day.  I locked the back door so that we don't go out there and bother her.  I want her to take care of them the best she can without us interfering.   I will post updates as they continue to grow.  


And so here are my own little peeps on Easter Sunday:

 I was trying to get pics of them in their Easter dresses, and yes, this is the best I was able to get


It was a great Sunday.  I gave a talk in church on faith and the resurrection.  My two brothers and their wives were here visiting from Utah


We had an Easter egg hunt in the front yard (so as not to disturb the robin in the back)


My bros cheering Em and C along


Ben hid them in really obvious places


 C showing off the egg she just found


 Em doing the same


We had a wonderful Easter and I wish I had posted a pic of us gathered around the table for Easter dinner...mmmm... I got to admit I made a great meal... ham balls, gratin-leek potatoes, salad, and of course Ben's signature chocolate chip cookies.  It was great to be surrounded by extended family, which hasn't happened on Easter for me in several years.

2 comments:

  1. Mindy, so grateful Easter went so well. I was thinking about you and loved your Easter robin testimony. What a beautiful way to start the day! That's so neat your brothers could be there for your talk. I bet it was beautiful/powerful! I'm impressed with your Easter fixings. We were about to have leftover pizza but when our primary president heard she wouldn't have it, he he he, so we ended up having chicken cordon bleu at her house. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, Marinda. Everything from the baby birds to the easter egg hunt made me smile. I'm curious to hear how the birds fare! Fun memories for you kids too...I remember as a kid the robins laying eggs in our apricot trees and it was so fun to peek on them and watch the whole thing unfold!

    ReplyDelete