Sunday, April 15, 2012

News and my sister comes to visit

Ok, so we have news... about our next assignment...

Remember how I posted about our supposed "list"?  You know, Paris, London, Athens, etc.  All those wonderful places?  

Remember how I ended the post with, "it probably won't be very exciting, things never turn out the way you think they will, so I'm bracing myself for disappointment."

Wow, what amazing foresight I had, a very ominous statement indeed.

I've been bugging Ben all week to check his email, knowing that we should be finding out any day. 
 I've been super pumped.
Well, Friday he finally got the email, and the results are in. 
Are you ready for this?

Our next assignment will be in...
(drumroll please)

ROMANIA

Yes, that's right.  Bucharest, Romania as assistant attache for 36 months.  First we go to DC in January for a year of attache training.

What was my reaction?
Well, I couldn't stop crying for the first day.  And believe me, they were not tears of joy.
To say I was disappointed is putting it mildly.
We were shocked because Romania wasn't even on the list.  It came from left field.
We're still finding out details.

That's all I'm going to say about it for now.  Things could change between now and then.  Something else might come up and like I said before, things never turn out the way you think they will, so maybe Bucharest will be an amazing place to live after all (but not holding my breath).

So onto merrier topics.  My dear sister Rebekah came to visit about a month ago.  I'm just now posting about it.  I've decided that Rebekah is the most interesting person I know.  She's so fun to talk to because you never know what she's going to say or what will peak her interest.  

She's my oldest sister, mother of five.  She just brought her two youngest who are Em and C's ages, so that was really fun for them.  

We went to Point Lobos:


Yes, that's Em on R's shoulders.  Don't ask.  


Love this pic.  Em and Ricky are little buddies.


Whale watching


We went to Carmel Beach.  Beck thought she had died and gone to heaven.  
Like my hat?  I thought it was awesome until I asked Ben what he thought and he said I looked like Susan B. Anthony.  Rude!


For the longest time C did not like going down by the water.  But now she can't get enough of it



We went to the beach a second time and built a fire...


roasted hotdogs


No make-up... scary, I know.  But you can see how happy I am to be hanging with my sis






We went to the children's museum in San Jose




I got to bond with Ricky and Deborah



Aren't they a beautiful family?  Note, the girl in the front is mine, not theirs.













5 comments:

  1. Mindy,
    I'm so sorry to hear about Romania and that you cried the whole day. Maybe you could work at some of those Romanian orphanages. If you do come to DC, we will have to hang out sometime, though! Maybe that will make up for the 3 years in Romania. LOL Why did they even ask you your preferences if the one they picked for you wasn't even on the list? That's weird. Maybe things will change if Romney becomes pres.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! That will be an adventure to say the least. I'm sorry you're disappointed. But you seem to acclimate and make a home wherever you are, so I'm sure you'll do great and come to love it. You're a tough cookie. I'm excited to hear about all your adventures there.

    Your sister is gorg and she looks like she's 21.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I like that hat. In fact, you rock that hat. Tell Ben I like him, but he's full of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Romania?? That's random. Dave and I had to pull out a map to even find where it was. I hope for your sake that's it's beautiful and safe and fun. All I know about Romania is that they have good gymnasts. That's a positive, right? :) You guys are awesome and adaptable and I'm sure they'll love you there. I like the hat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I can't believe Romania! Totally out of left field!

    Beck looks beautiful in these pictures. So do you, of course! And you DON'T look like Susan B. Anthony!

    ReplyDelete