Tuesday, November 20, 2012


Today marks three years since my dad's passing.  Doesn't he look great in this picture?  


I was a little bit homesick this past weekend, thinking of my family in Utah, six siblings and my mother, who were spending the day together to kind of commemorate the anniversary of my dad's passing.  They all went to the temple together and then celebrated my mom's 60th birthday with homemade pizza and games.  I hate it when I miss out on stuff like that.  

But, I think my dad was keenly aware of how I felt.  Strangely enough, I got asked to substitute teach Gospel Doctrine class on Sunday.  Actually, Ben was originally asked, and some outside force must have taken hold of me because as I heard Ben telling Brother Coombs over the phone that he wouldn't be able to do it, I chimed in, "I can do it!"  Like I said, something must have overcome me because who does that to themselves?  Brother Coombs seemed kind of surprised on the other end.  "Oh, that would be great!  You always make such great comments in class!"  Which is funny, because I've never once made a comment in his class.  

What does this have to do with my dad?
My dad was the Gospel Doctrine teacher when he passed away.  He LOVED that calling.  I have many early morning memories of him sitting at a table in his pajamas, hair sticking up, with his scriptures spread open and his notebook handy.  He was always studying the scriptures.  His class was small, mostly full of widows and people who were new in the church, a lot of humble, salt-of-the-earth people.  They loved my dad.  I enjoyed attending his class when I was home visiting, because the little 90-year-old ladies would volunteer to read passages and make sweet, insightful comments.  He really loved them and loved teaching.  

So Saturday night I prepared the lesson. Ben was out of town at a football game.  Unbeknownst to me he sent me a text saying for me not to worry about the lesson, that he would do it (I think he kind of felt bad I got stuck with it).  But, the text didn't show on my phone until Sunday after church.  Coincidence?  I think not.
So, standing up in front of a chapel full of church members (knees knocking) and teaching from the scriptures, oddly enough, drew me closer to my dad, as I participated in one of his favorite things to do.  I guess he doesn't have to actually be here physically in order for him and me to continue and build upon our relationship, which is a really nice thing to know. 
  





3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am teary eyed...I LOVE that you felt that connection.
    You are my HERO!! Teaching Gospel Doctrine is my BIGGEST fear in life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tears in my post. A beautiful post. And even though we missed you here we still felt close to you and felt connected to you.

    ReplyDelete